An Extra Billion Dollars in US Military Aid to Israel?
The following letter is an appeal from Alison Weir, President of the Council for the National Interest Foundation. The highlights in Alison’s message are mine. Click on CNI’s letterhead and go to the website. You’ll find an unusually powerful video on CNI’s home page. Peace, Roy
I’ll make this message as brief and as blunt as I can.
The Israel Lobby is pushing Congress for an extra billion dollars in military aid to Israel—that’s above and beyond the $3+ billion it already receives. At a time of high unemployment figures, record-breaking government spending deficits, and world-wide financial instability, can U.S. taxpayers afford this? More to the point: American political, economic, and diplomatic standing in the all-imporatant Middle East is at an all time low—further tipping the balance toward Tel Aviv is a dangerous move.
That’s the subject of our Executive Director’s important new article on the internet: “The Israel Lobby Never Sleeps.” Phil Giraldi writes:
Israel and its partisan hacks in Congress are utterly shameless. At a time when the country is screaming for some measure of restraint in government spending, Israel is the one budget line that only sees increases.
In another hard-hitting article, Phil gives an excellent overview of how the Palestinian-Israel issue plays out in the U.S., noting that grassroots efforts—the core of CNI’s agenda—are showing some small signs of fruit. Yes, the Lobby is as powerful as ever, perhaps even more so, but as Phil observes there have been breakthroughs. He uses this as one example…
On April 22, 60 Minutes, the most watched television news and commentary program in the United States, aired a segment on Israeli persecution of Christians. The program was a real shock for the many fundamentalist Christians who have viewed Israel through rose-tinted glasses. Many evangelicals have promoted the myth that Israel is actually a protector of Christians, which it most emphatically is not.
It’s so important to remember—especially when it appears that the centers of power from Hollywood to Capitol Hill are invincible—that, thanks to your involvement, our message is being heard…
• According to a 2011 poll conducted by the Israel Project, a group that portrays Israel in a positive light, when asked if Washington should continue foreign aid to Tel Aviv to be used for buying U.S. military equipment, 40% of respondents said that the America should reduce aid to Israel.
• A survey conducted last May by CNN revealed 65% of Americans favor neutrality in the Middle East.
• In March, an in-depth Brookings Institute study showed that only one in four Americans favor Israel conducting a military strike against Iran’s nuclear program, 70% favor the U.S. pursuing negotiations with Iran, and just one in seven Americans thinks the United States should encourage Israel to strike Iran’s program.
This is indeed encouraging news. Our fellow citizens are starting to understand what we have to say. That’s why your financial investments in the Council for the National Interest are critical: your support underwrites our ability to present alternative viewpoints on the Middle East … a message America desperately needs to hear. Your continuing help, $50, $100, $1000, or even $35, is very much appreciated— and necessary.
The Israel Lobby is now working overtime in spite of signs that public opinion may be shifting. As Phil Giraldi says in “The Israel Lobby Never Sleeps,”
There has been no media reporting on H.R.4133—United States-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012 introduced into the House of Representatives on March 5th, ‘To express the sense of Congress regarding the United States-Israel strategic relationship, to direct the President to submit to Congress reports on United States actions to enhance this relationship and to assist in the defense of Israel, and for other purposes.’
If you and I don’t express outrage and expose this expensive and militarily dangerous move by the Israel Lobby… who will?
Please let me hear from you soon. And, as always, my appreciation for your loyal support.
P.S. Anything you do to help CNI counts: gifts of $20 or just e-mailing links to these articles are all crucial in this fight.
P.P.S. On Thursday, May 16th I will be speaking at The University of California, Riverside; please join me if you live in the area – and bring neighbors or colleagues new to the issue!
- Father Dave Visits Syria. The Syrian People are Being Treated as Cannon Fodder” on Palestinian Refugees play host to new Syrian arrivals!
- Monday Missive – May 13th, 2013 | Father Dave's Monday Missive on Palestinian Refugees play host to new Syrian arrivals!
- Father Dave on A Unity Government in Palestine at long last?
- Marty Roth on A Unity Government in Palestine at long last?
- Embarrassed and Ashamed ~ How Does One “Defend” an Illegal Occupation? | 4justpeace on Chomsky on Israel’s assault on Gaza: “It is not a war, it is murder”